Duncan lauds NYS evaluation agreement

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan today commended New York state and its education leaders for agreeing on a teacher/principal evaluation process and said he was no longer concerned about the state’s eligibility for federal Race to the Top dollars.

According to the Gotham Schools blog, Duncan “praised the state’s collaboration with NYSUT” and said: “What you saw here was folks working together. I think many people predicted this couldn’t work out, couldn’t happen, but this is union-imagined, working together to get the right points.”

Here’s the full blog post.

In a visit to NYSUT headquarters in August 2010 to discuss the union’s Innovation Initiative, Duncan “tremendous courage, tremendous leadership and a real commitment to changing the status quo” to do what’s best for students.

Tags:

5 Comments

  1. Betsy Marshall February 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

    Great words…… I agree. But, I don’t respect people for what they say, I respect people for what they do. So far what Duncan is doing in his job does not support what I am doing in my job. And I am the person that spends 60 – 70 hours per week thinking about, planning lessons for and teaching the children in my community. As far as I am concerned he has no clue!!

  2. Richard Rose February 19, 2012 at 8:08 am #

    With respect, NYSUT’s agreement to using 40% student exams (regardless of whether they are state exams or local or purchased from outside company) represents a sell out of its membership.

    Opening the door for parent and student evaluations of teachers on survey forms is absurd, Everyone knows that such evaluations are largely based on the grade the student is earning in the class. I hope every local rejects such measures in their collective bargaining efforts!

    I could say much more, but I honestly feel as if my VOTE/COPE contributions have been wasted!!!! My school district is due only $3000 a year for 4 years (total of $12,000) in race to the top money. We should not give a hoot whether the district receives it or not.

  3. C February 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

    Why no discussion about how the 40% can trump the other 60%?? NYSUT needs to address this.

Post Comment