It’s 14 weeks before voters in most school districts across the state vote on school budgets. May 15 will be here in the blink of an eye. Heck my backyard already looks like spring with daffodil up 3 to 4 inches!
This week, if you haven’t filled that budget committee yet, keep seeking volunteers. Here’s a list of some important dates to help you plan.
- By March 1, districts must submit the budget numbers to calculate the tax levy limit. (remember this is all about the 2 percent property tax cap.)
- By April 20 school boards must have adopted their 2012-13 school budget.
- By April 21 districts must submit the property tax report card to the State Education Department and the newspaper they designated at their organizational meeting for official notices.
- Between May 1-8 Districts must hold a budget hearing
- Between May 2-9 Districts must mail to residents the notice of the school budget
- May 15 Districts must hold the public vote on the 2012-13 school budget