Schoharie Teachers And You: Flood Relief

Tonight the 96-member Schoharie Teachers Association agreed to put $10,000 into a fund to insulate as many homes in the community as that amount will cover. This is on top of efforts of many members who have worked daily to help clean flooded homes down to the studs.

Schoharie TA members finish removing drywall from a flooded home.

“This uses up a very large amount of our treasury, but we have to help save our community,” said Martin Messner, local president.

This week union members will get information and applications out to members in the community. Other criteria for the “STAY: Flood Relief” program are:

• Homes and businesses must be within the Schoharie school district;
  • Building to be insulated must be structurally sound;
  • Walls to be insulated must be free of mold, debris and nails;

Those homes and businesses that want insulation installed at no charge must fill out an application and it must be received by 5 p.m. Sept. 28 and mailed to Messner, President, Schoharie Teachers’ Association, 298 Colby Rd., Schoharie, NY, 12157.

Homes and businesses must be available to be measured Oct. 1 or 2. Insulation will be installed Oct. 8-9.

Volunteers are needed to help insulate so have your work gloves ready for Columbus Day weekend, because that’s when union members expect to insulate from 40 to 60 buildings, perhaps more if additional donations come in.

If you would like to donate to this effort, make the check out to Schoharie Teachers’ Association and put “insulation relief” in the memo line.

Tags: , ,

1. Laura Van Guilder, President SGFFA September 14, 2011 at 9:02 am #

Marty, South Glens Falls is here to help! We will be there Columbus Day Weekend and will be sending Home Depot Gift Cards shortly! We support you 100%! Great Job!

2. Brian, PJSTA September 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

Marty… I sent you an email to your sta email acct.

3. Martin Messner September 16, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Laura,

Thanks so much for the support. I’ll let you know ASAP after I get the specifics nailed down. I’m dealing with trying to get materials from companies, once I know what I can get and where I can get it from I’ll set a time for that weekend.

Brian,

Thank you for your email, I sent you an email back. Thanks for helping with your Association and school, it means so much to us. We have been completely overwelmed with the response, and trying to get this project together…well…its the biggest thing we’ve ever done.

Thanks All…

4. Tracy September 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Where do we get the applications? Can you send via email?

5. Kathy Jones September 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

This is soo wonderful. Another reason why I LOVE SCS!
    Bless you all

6. Martin Messner September 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

Tracy,

Applications were posted this weekend on most of the doors in the impacted areas. They also went home with every student on Friday, and there are blank forms available at the FEMA office at the Holiday Inn Express in Schoharie.

If you still can’t find one. Feel free to email me at mmessner@schoarieta.org and I’ll make sure you get one.

7. Jane Phillips March 6, 2012 at 11:40 am #

I am so proud to say that I was a member of Schoharie’s staff. Your compassion and willingness to help others is just so kind. Just another example of how you dig in and respond to the needs of the community. We are blessed to have you.